[This post is part of the WordPress Guide for Beginners – Step by Step Tutorials]
If you are a Blogspot user or relatively new in WordPress, then you may have been confused by two types of WordPress. Some questions may arise on your mind like –
- What is WordPress.org and WordPress.com?
- What’s the difference between them?
- Which one should I use for my blog?
If so, then you are not alone. In this post, I will be sharing the difference and some other information about WordPress.org and WordPress.com that will help you to choose better one for your blog or website.
What is WordPress.Org?
WordPress is the open source software and blogging tool that powers over 60 million websites around the world. WordPress.org is the place where you can download the latest version of WordPress CMS and runs it on web hosting service.
This the web site where you will find thousands of themes and plugins, WordPress news, community support etc.
- You can install any WordPress theme or plugin available. You can modify your theme to get a custom look. Plugins help you to extend the functionality of your site.
- You have the full control on your site and data. You don’t have to worry about any Terms of Services.
- You can monetize your blog on your own way. You can use third-party Ad networks like Adsense.
- You can edit your files via FTP or cPanel.
- You needn’t to worry about Storage space.
- Custom Analytics and Tracking.
- As you have to host your site on a web hosting service, you have to pay to $3 – $7 per month and yearly domain cost($10).
- You have to manage your own backup. (BTW there are a lot of free plugins that will do backup for you).
- You are responsible for maintenance and upgrades.
What is WordPress.Com?
WordPress.Com lets you to create a free blog with some limitations. It is also powered by same software used in WordPress.Org.
Besides it relieves you from installing WordPress and maintenance.
- It’s free up to 3 GB. For additional use, you have to pay $20 per year for 10 GB, $50 per year for 25 GB, $160 per year for 100 GB.
- You needn’t to worry about backup, maintenance and upgrades.
- You can only pick theme from limited free themes. And you can’t customize the theme.
- You cannot use plugin to extend the functionality, though WordPress is very popular for its huge number of Plugin. If you want to use plugin, you’ll have to move their VIP program which starts at $3750 per month.
- You have limited control on your site and data. They can delete your site if they find any issue against their Terms of Service. My first blog was deleted because of that.
- You cannot sell Ads on your site unless you receive 25,000 pageviews/month. Besides they will eat your 50% revenue.
- Sometimes they may show ads on your blog.
WordPress.org VS WordPress.com
|Themes||Any WordPress Theme (Modify & Customize)||Limited WordPress Theme (No Modification and Customization)|
|Plugins||All Plugins from WordPress Plugin Directory||Limited Plugin. No Uploading.|
|Maintenance||You have to do the maintenance.||They will do it|
|Cost||Expense depends on Hosting Provider.||Free! (3 GB)|
|Control||Full Control. Do whatever you want.||Limited Control.|
|Branding||Your own brand.||Not for Branding.|
The Big Question – Which One Should You Use?
If you are a hobby blogger who wants to blog for fun or personal journal and don’t have intention to make money from your blog then you may go with WordPress.Com.
If you are a blogger who wants to make money from your blog or promote your business via blogging or wants to make blogging a carrier, then you should consider going with Self Hosted WordPress.org.
Finally I recommend WordPress.org over WordPress.com. Here are some reasons.
- You will get a custom design for your blog/site with WordPress.org.
- WordPress.org offers thousands of Plugin and you can do everything you want with Plugins.
- You can make money from your blog.
- You will have your own domain name with full control.
- You can make your site SEO friendly to get visit for Search Engines.
- You can track your site performance.
If primary cost is not a matter for you then you can go with WordPress.org.
3 Easy Steps to Create a Self Hosted WordPress.Org Blog
1. Register Domain Name: Domain name is the identity of your blog/site. People will use it to access your blog. For example, Roadtoblogging.com is my domain name and whenever you type roadtoblogging.com on your browser, you will find my blog.
Register your domain name so that no one can steal your name. For domain registration, I always prefer Godaddy. It offers affordable domain to their customers.
2. Get Web Host: Then you will need a server to host your files. A web hosting service allows you to host your site on their server and to make your site accessible via internet. In return, you have to pay few bucks monthly or yearly to your hosting provider.
When it comes to buying web host, I recommend you to buy hosting from Hostgator. It is a leading web hosting provider that hosts more than 8000000 websites. I am using HostGator Baby Plan Package for RoadtoBlogging.Com.
Once you’ve got the hosting account, connect your domain name with web host.
3. Install WordPress: Now you have the domain name and hosting account. Next thing to do is installing WordPress on your Host. And your are one click away from your first WordPress Blog.
I hope these steps help you to create a self hosted WordPress blog. If you need any help, feel free to ask us via comment.
Once again, I recommend you to use WordPress.org. After all, it’s your site, your brand, your business and you need full control of your site. Now choice is yours.
Last Updated on