So you’ve bought a domain name but don’t know what to do next?
Don’t worry. You’re not alone.
Having a domain name means you are already one step closer to create a blog or website. Now you need to do few more things to get your site live.
Here I’ll be sharing a list of first things you need to do after buying a domain name. You can do all of these by yourself without hiring any professionals.
Before going further, let’s check the steps you need to take after buying your new domain name.
Now let’s get started with the first step.
Step 1: Get A Web Hosting Plan
If you’ve already bought a web hosting plan with your domain name, you can skip this step.
Most of the domain providers like GoDaddy or Namecheap offer web hosting packages. But they are not as good as web hosting companies.
It’s better to buy hosting from a renown web host.
When it comes to buying a web hosting plan, I’d recommend you to start with a shared hosting plan. It’s cheaper and suitable for new sites.
I started my blogging journey with HostGator Shared Hosting. You can do so. Here’s a special promo link to get a whopping 61% discount on HostGator.
For any reason, if you are looking for a HostGator alternative, you can try Bluehost. It’s another affordable web hosting provider.
Step 2: Connect Domain Name With Web Hosting
If you’ve bought domain and web hosting from the same company, you can skip this step.
Otherwise, you need to point your domain name to hosting server to connect each other. It’s very easy to do.
Just login to your hosting account and copy the nameservers. If you are using HostGator shared hosting, just log in to your cPanel and you’ll find the nameservers in the right sidebar under ‘General Information’.
Then login to your domain provider and edit your nameservers. If you are using Namecheap, you can do that by clicking on ‘Manage’ button and then editing the nameservers.
Step 3: Install WordPress
To run and maintain your site efficiently, you need to install a software on your host. This is known as Content Management System (CMS). It allows you to publish, edit and modify your contents easily.
With One-click Installation, WordPress makes it insanely easy to create a site/blog. You can install WordPress by yourself. All you need to do is, follow some simple steps.
To learn more about WordPress, you can check our WordPress Guide for Beginners.
Step 4: Install A Theme & Essential Plugins
WordPress comes up with a default theme that can be changed.
There are plenty of WordPress themes out there. Whether you are going to create a personal blog or an eCommerce site, you will get available WordPress themes for that.
Here are some recommendations for you :
- Astra: It is the same theme that we are using here at RoadToBlogging.com. It’s a multi-purpose theme which can be used on any website.
- GeneratePress: It’s another great WordPress theme that we use on our another blog – WPLeaders.com. It’s also a multi-purpose theme.
- Elegant Themes: It has a variety of WordPress themes like Blog, Business, eCommerce, Magazine, Multimedia, Portfolio etc.
Once you’ve chosen and downloaded your desire WordPress theme, you need to install it on WordPress.
Now let’s talk about essential WordPress plugins. Here’s a list of must-have WordPress plugins for a new site.
- Ultimate Blocks: It’s a custom Gutenberg blocks plugin specially designed for bloggers and marketers.
- Rank Math: It’s a all-in-one solution for WordPress SEO developed by the team at MyThemeShop.
- Social Snap: It’s one of the best solutions for adding social sharing buttons on your blog.
- Contact Form 7: It’s the most popular contact form plugin.
- Jetpack: It’s a multi-purpose WordPress plugin by Automattic.
Step 5: Create an Email With Your Domain Name
Isn’t it more professional having an email address like firstname.lastname@example.org than email@example.com?
Yes, it is. It increases the visibility and credibility of a brand name.
You can set up a free email address from your hosting cPanel or you can use Google Apps for $5/month.
I prefer using Hosting cPanel as it’s free and easy to set up.
Step 6: Start Adding Contents to Your Site
The success of your website depends on your content. Once you have your site ups and running, you need to start adding content on your site.
Here are some most important pages for your blog or website.
- About Page
- Contact Page (How to Create a Contact Page)
- Services Page
- Products Page
- FAQ Page
- Portfolio Page
- Advertise Page
- Press Page
- Subscribe Page
- Testimonial Page
You don’t need to add all of these pages. Just add those that suit your site/blog.
It’s a good idea to have a blog even if you are running a website. Blogging is the best way to build content for your website. It will help you to get traffic from search engines.
Step 7: Submit Site to Search Engines
Whenever you create a new site/blog, you always want people to find your site easily. The easiest way people can find your site is through Search Engines.
To get your site found on Search Engines, you need to create a sitemap and submit it to search engines.
- How to Submit Sitemap to Google
- How to Get Your Blog Indexed by Google in 24 Hours
- How to Submit Sitemap to Bing
- Submit Your Site in More than 100 Search Engines
Once your site got indexed by Search Engines, you will start getting traffic from search engines.
Step 8: Promote Your Site Offline
When you just start a new blog/site, you can’t expect instant traffic from Social Media or Search Engines.
It takes times to build an audience in Social Media and get traffic from Search Engines.
However, you can get instant traffic by promoting your site offline. Here are few things you can do to drive traffic to your blog/site.
- Put your site URL on your business card.
- Print your site URL on pens, mugs & other goodies and give those for free.
- Make a customized t-shirt for your blog/site.
- Sponsor an event where you can promote your site.
- If you own a car, put your URL on the side of your car.
You can do many more things to promote your site offline. Just be creative!
Over To You
Hope this post helped you to create your site.
If you have any other questions about what to do after buying a domain name, feel free to ask us via comments.
However, if you found this post useful, help me by sharing this post on Facebook, Twitter or Google+.
Last Updated on